Sunday, November 19, 2006

11/19/06 (Day 68): Overwhelmed.


I've let the days pass me by at a breathless rate. Tonight marks our last Sunday night in Sta. Eulalia - this next week is packed to the brim with final training sessions, a thanksgiving dinner coupled with a ceremony to thank our host families, and finally, on Friday, we will officially swear in as Peace Corps Volunteers. Immediately, on Saturday, we'll depart Lima for our respective sites, leave the relative comfort of the country's capital city region and the new friendships that we've formed over the past intense 10 weeks. They've warned us about the 1st three months... exhausting, numb, fish bowl, lack of structure, no idea what to do each day, constantly explaining ourselves and Peace Corps, etc.

I think I've left off writing for the past two weeks because of the onset of some of these feelings - overwhelmed! We've seen it, we've beent here, to Musho. We've met a lot of the people in the community. We've seen the big mountain raising up above the town. My counterpart, Nancy, was amazing. Benjamin's didn't really exist.

It's going to be hard. We'll learn. We will certainly love life wven when it's hard sometimes. I'm not quite ready to go there yet. I miss Love Lake. I miss the Arctic. I miss good friends. I miss Greenbelt.

Libby